A. To enter this skill-based contest, students will take one photograph and write a few paragraphs that captures their relationship to our planet in celebration of the 50-year anniversary of Earth Day on April 22, 2020.
B. Visit the contest and project pages for full details
C. To learn more about the moment in which humanity witnessed our Earth as one ecosystem, watch the short documentary Earthrise. The Earthrise photograph, taken in 1968 on the Apollo 8 mission, helped to spearhead the environmental movement, leading to a collective experience of awe and reverence towards our planet.
D. Access the Earthrise curriculum guide (the “Guide”) for additional discussion questions and activities. The Guide also contains in-depth historical, cultural, and environmental background information, putting the Earthrise photograph in context.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. ENTRY IN THIS SKILL-BASED CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES
- Contest Period: Global Oneness Project’s Document Your Place On The Planet Student Photography Contest (the “Contest”) begins April 1, 2020, and ends June 1, 2020, at 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (the “Contest Period”).
- Sponsor: This Contest is sponsored by Global Oneness Project LLC, a California limited liability company, with the principal place of business at 2 Inverness Way, Inverness, CA 94937 (the “Sponsor”).
- Announcement of the Winners: The ten (10) winners and the finalists will be announced on June 15, 2020 on Sponsor’s website www.globalonenessproject.org.
- Social Media Compliance: This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, or any other social media platform where the Sponsor may promote this Contest.
- Eligibility: CONTEST IS VOID OUTSIDE THE ELIGIBILITY AREA AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. This Contest is open to anyone who fulfills all the following criterion (the “Contestant,” or “you”), which requires:
- Contestant should be currently enrolled in school;
- Any Contestant under the age of 18 should have parents’ or legal guardian’s permission to enter into this Contest (Click Here to download the permission note, the “Parental Permission Note”); and
- Contestant should be either:
- 13 or over the age of 13 and a currently lawful U.S. resident living in the 50 U.S. States and District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Military installation in foreign countries, and all other U.S. territories and possessions, EXCLUDING where restricted or prohibited by law, or
- over the age of 16 and a currently lawful resident of any member state of the European Economic Area (the “EEA”), Canada (excluding Quebec), Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Russia, India, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, or any other jurisdiction that does not prohibit the conduct of, or their participation in, this skill-based contest, (collectively with Section 5(c)(i), the “Eligibility Area”).
- Directors, officers and employees of Global Oneness Project and its affiliates, and their family members, are not eligible to enter.
- How To Enter: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SKILL-BASED CONTEST.
- To enter the Contest, please visit Contest website at https://www.globalonenessproject.org/student-projects/document-your-place-planet-remember-earth (“Contest Site”) during the Contest Period and follow the instructions that appear on that Contest Site.
- In order to make the submission on your behalf, your teacher and/or parent is required to fill out a short Sponsor Survey that is available here.
- Your teacher or parent will email Sponsor at email@example.com with “Student Photography Contest” in the subject line. We will then send your teacher or parent (as applicable) a unique Dropbox link to upload your Entry (as defined below).
- What to Enter:
- Your complete entry will contain the following (the “Entry”), which reflects Contestant’s execution of Contest theme – “Relationship To Our Planet” (the “Theme”):
- One photograph, which should be in response to one of the following prompts (the “Photograph”):
- What is your relationship to our planet?
- How are we all interconnected?
- In what way is your community protecting the environment? or
- How can we change our perspective to see our planet as one home?
- A short photographer’s statement (not more than 2-3 paragraphs) that responds to all of the following questions (the “Response”):
- Which question(s) did you choose to answer? Why?
- How did the film and/or the Earthrise photograph inspire or inform the decisions you made in taking your photograph?
- If your photograph captures the place in which you live, why is this place important to you? and
- What would you like your place in the world to be remembered for?
- The Release Forms (as defined below).
- A Contestant can submit only one Entry, which means one Photograph and one Response per Contestant.
- The Photograph and the Response should meet the Photograph Requirements, described below.
- The Photograph should be between one and five megabytes and in JPEG image format. The photographs should not be a photo collage or photoshopped image. Please do not use filter effects.
- Entries received without Parental Permission Note and/or Photo Subject Release (if applicable) (together, “Release Forms”) will be disqualified.
- Any submission not meeting the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified. Sponsor accepts no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid submissions howsoever caused.
- Photograph Requirements:
- The Photograph and the Response must meet the following criteria (“Photograph Requirements”):
- They must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortious, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or promote hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise do not comply with the Theme and spirit of the Contest.
- They must not contain content, material, or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to any applicable federal, state, or local law or regulation including the laws or regulations in any state or country where the Photograph and the Response are created.
- They must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark, or that might suggest or indicate a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party commercial entity, or that is not within the spirit of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- They must be original and unpublished works.
- They cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party's publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights. See Section 9 below if any person appears in your Photograph.
- They must not be the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
- They must not include any disparaging remarks relating to Sponsor or any third party.
- The submitted Photograph must be two-dimensional and scannable (e.g., no videos or GIFs).
- By submitting an Entry, you understand that if your Entry is deemed to be a winner, it will be posted and distributed in various media and any such posting/distribution will be deemed made at the direction of the Contestant within the meaning of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Communications Decency Act (of the U.S.).
- During the Contest Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating the Photograph and Response to ensure that they meet the Photograph Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Contestant who submits a Photograph or Response that does not meet the Photograph Requirements. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these rules are subject to disqualification.
- CONTESTANT LICENSES/RELEASES: If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Contestant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the Contestant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation (the “Photo Subject Release”). Click here to download a sample of Photo Subject Release. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- JUDGING: The eligible Entries will be judged by a qualified panel consisting of professional filmmakers and photographers, and authorized personnel from the Sponsor (collectively, the “Judges”). The eligible Entries will be judged on creativity, photographic quality, and execution of the Theme, as stated in Section 7 of these rules. The Judges will narrow the entries to twenty (20) finalists and will select ten (10) winners from the finalists, subject to increase if there is a tiebreaker. In the event of the tiebreaker, all the finalists involved in the tiebreaker will be adjudged winners. All decisions of the Judges are final and not subject to appeal.
- PRIZES: Winners will be awarded 200 USD each. The time and manner of the prize distribution will be provided to winners in the prize acceptance documents but will not be earlier than two (2) weeks from Sponsor’s receipt of prize acceptance documents from winners. Note: Prize monies have no strings attached. Global Oneness Project neither imposes any restrictions on how the winners spend the money nor will enforce reporting obligations. Prize monies will be given through applicable e-payment platform.
- WINNERS’ NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION: The winners and the finalists will be informed in writing via the email address provided in their Entries.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Sponsor and the Contestant, the Contestant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the Photograph and the Response (excluding Sponsor’s rights in Sponsor’s logo/trademark). As a condition of participating in the Contest, Contestant grants Sponsor a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the Photograph for any purpose, including display on the Sponsor’s website, or in any media now or hereafter known, without any attribution or compensation to Contestant. Entries will not be returned. Sponsor retains all rights in Sponsor’s products and services and entry into this Contest will in no case serve to transfer any of Sponsor’s intellectual property rights to the Contestant.
- TAXES: TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant from the Contest if, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Contestant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens, or harasses any other contestants, Sponsor, or the Judges.
Global Oneness Project LLC
P.O. Box 1164
Inverness, California 94937
- PUBLICITY: By entering the Contest, Contestants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resolting from the Contest as reasonably requested by Sponsor at Sponsor’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Sponsor. Sponsor will contact Contestants in advance of any Sponsor-sponsored media request for interviews. Photographs and Responses may also be used for press and media purposes and Contestant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Contestant has or may have in the Photographs and Responses. Sponsor reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the Contestants, the finalists and the winners on the sponsor’s website www.globalonenessproject.org or through other media for publicity purposes.
- ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by Contestant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these rules or the like may resolt in the immediate elimination of the Contestant from the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Contestants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If a Contestant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Contestant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest
- INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER: Sponsor is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Photographs and Responses or votes due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site.
- RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY, OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by a Contestant to deliberately damage any website, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such Contestant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
- FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in foll force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resolting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and Contestant expressly waive any and all such rights.